Citation Building FAQs
Are the citation submissions automated or completed by hand?
100% hand submitted by our team of trained citation builders.
How long does it take for you to complete the order?
We will have the work completed and your report ready in about 3 weeks.
Where is the Citation Building Service supported?
The Whitespark Citation Building team is now building citations in every country in the world.
Can I use my own email address and password for the sites?
Sure, if you provide us with working web-mail access for the account, we can use it. We need access so that we can verify the submissions as we make them. Note that you’re going to get a TON of spam to this account, so we recommend using an email account that we’ll create for you instead. To include this info, please use the Additional Info field in the spreadsheet or the web form.
Where does your list of citation sources come from?
We have access to Whitespark’s huge database of sources (over 1 million records), and are able to pick out the top quality sources that appear the most frequently and that have the highest domain authority.
How long does it take for my rankings to improve?
Google performs major Places updates on a 6 to 10 week schedule. So, I recommend setting expectations to 2 months, but it could be quicker depending on when the last update was. Some citation sources might get picked up and counted towards your listing right away though, so you could start seeing ranking increases within weeks. We just recommend expecting at least a couple months to see the impact.
Do you claim Google Place pages or phone verify any listings?
No. Any important listings that require claiming with phone or postcard verification should really be handled directly by the business, or at least by the SEO agency who can coordinate the phone verification calls with the business.
Do you do the citation submissions all at once, or trickle them in over time?
We don’t currently throttle our citation building because we know how Google merges data with their Places index in chunks. We have tested building hundreds of citations in one day vs spreading them out over time and have not found a difference. We don’t believe citation velocity is currently something that Google is considering.
That said, Google is getting better and better and aggregating citation data into Places, and this might become a factor in the future.
Do you guarantee “live” listings?
No, sorry. When you sign up for our citation building service, your payment covers the manual labor that goes into the submission work. We have no control over what happens after we submit a listing. Listings on some sites will go live immediately, other might take a few days, and others might take a few months. Some of these smaller city-specific and industry-specific sites are managed by a single person who reviews and approves submissions. They can take a long time to work through the submissions. We’ve seen listings go live over a year after we submitted.
Typically, about 30% of our submissions will be live when we send you your report, and they will continue to trickle in over the next few months. We expect about 70% of your citations will be live within 4 weeks of receiving your report.
How Does Your Service Compare To Yext?
- An automated system that will distribute your listings to their network of about 40 citation sites (the rest are gps/mobile apps).
- US only.
- Only common “generic” citation sources. No options for hyper relevant citations that are specific to your industry or city.
- “Real-time” updates. You can make a change to your listing and see that change “go live” on all of the sites within a couple of hours (on most sites).
- $499, recurring every year.
- When you cancel, the sites in their network may or may not keep the Yext data up. Data from another provider may “resurface” to overwrite the changes you made to your listing. Depends on how each site in their network handles this.
- Manual, by hand submissions.
- We have lists of hundreds of quality citation opportunities in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Germany, Holland, and Singapore.
- We can research citation opportunities specific to your industry and city and get you listed on these sites for local ranking boosts.
- You’ll get a detailed report with usernames/passwords for all sites if you want to make edits to the listings, but those edits would need to be done manually.
- One time fee based on the number of citations you order. To get 50 generic citations with our service would be a one time fee of $200, and those listings would be permanent. For $395 we will get you listed on 80 top generic citation sources and 15 hyper relevant local/niche citations. This is a one-time fee, not recurring yearly like Yext.
- A member of our team will manually check over the data you submit to ensure it is accurate and consistent, and we perform a careful check on every site we submit to to make sure we don’t create duplicates, and to make sure we update/enhance any existing listings we find.
For a third party comparison of Yext vs manual citation building, please see this post.
Who do you partner with?
We partner with OptiLocal for this service. We combine our database of local citations sources, and local search expertise with OptiLocal’s experienced team to build only the best quality citations.
Do you offer any incentives for referrals?
Yes, we have an affiliate program and you can earn an income on referring your audience or clients to Whitespark’s citation building building service. Learn more here.